The following post is by editor Kara Fleck. It originally appeared February 2011.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. I’ve written before about how I believe we should always be telling our kids we love them, and showing them with more than our words, as well.
However, I also enjoy that a day has been set aside just for the purpose of celebrating love and I like the idea of an extra-special “love day.”
Like many of you, I’m thinking about budget-friendly but fun things that I can do for the holiday that will make my kids smile. Celebrations don’t have to be expensive or extravagant to make the day a memorable one.
In fact, it is often the little things that children remember and talk about from year to year. Those are the memories they carry with them into adulthood.
Here are a few simple ideas for Valentine’s Day …
Reds and pinks are the colors of the day.
- Get dressed in red and/or pink.
- Set the table with a colored tablecloth – Do you have any red dishes? Cups or coffee mugs?
- Decorate with red and pink paper hearts.
- Make some pink and red Valentine’s Day play dough.
- Make red or pink smoothies (we keep frozen strawberries and cherries on hand just for pink smoothies.)
- Write a love note in red crayon.