Good morning, friends! This week just zoomed by for me and was a bit of an emotional roller coaster (we are fine, but we received sad news about a few families we care a lot about this week, so our hearts are heavy).
So, this Friday finds me without a formal Five post. Instead of skipping it, I thought it might be fun to just share five random things today – sort of an end of the week wrap up, but not quite that organized.
So, here are this week’s Friday Five: 5 Random Things …
1. Max is a reader! Finally, after months of insisting he couldn’t do it, and with a little bit of gentle but firm encouragement, my son is reading. It is pretty awesome! We are reading Garfield comics together and he really loves The Magic Tree House series. I’m also reading Farmer Boy to him (he’s not quite up to reading it himself just yet) and I love watching his face as he listens to a book that I loved myself as a child. This reading thing is pretty wonderful!
2. I went to bed most nights this week leaving dishes in the sink and laundry piled high and that is totally okay. I simply cannot do it all and those are two tasks that just didn’t happen. But, here is what is cool about that: without me even asking her to, my eleven year old pitched right in and helped out with the dishes and put away her own laundry. The big kid phase certainly has its perks.
3. Speaking of not doing it all, I know what I am about to share is so unlike me, but this year I decided to give myself a year off and I’m only making one gift for the holidays. That doesn’t mean there won’t be other homemade presents under our Christmas tree, thank you Etsy, but it does mean that I’m giving my knitting needles and the wood working tools a rest this year. We are having a super busy Autumn and I know I don’t do well with deadline craft projects. So, this elf is having a sabbatical. (Though I’m still a knitting fool).
4. Yesterday Amelia was 2 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days old. This pleased the numbers nerd in me to no end!
5. When we were at Crafting Community a few weeks ago I learned about Milk + Bookies. I’m really intrigued by this idea of kids giving books to other kids and by the idea of having a Milk + Bookies party. I’m going to think about this some more and get back to you guys. I know you don’t need a formal organization to give this way, though as a busy parent I do appreciate that someone else has “done the heavy lifting” as they say and put together kits to make throwing this kind of “book raising” party easy.
And that’s five random things on my mind this morning. Tell me, friends, how was your week? What were you and your kids up to?
PS – don’t forget that today is the last day to enter the Crafting Community tote bag giveaway!