Friends, this young year has been a big one for the Fleck family. There have been changes and challenges and some success stories, too. Most of this has been behind-the-scenes of the blog. I love you internet, but not every story belongs “out there.” Not every story is mine to tell.
Still, I think that some of you come to Simple Kids because of the things I share that I’ve learned in my own parenting journey. So, it seems proper to pull back the curtain a little bit further and tell you five things about my life right now:
1. Our household has grown by one. No, no new babies. Shortly before Christmas last year my sister-in-law Angela came to live with us. The reasons why I’m not going to go into, but the long answer short is that we love having her here and I think it has been a happy, healthy change for everyone. There are a lot of things that make Angela special and her presence here truly makes seven our family’s lucky number.
2. Our home is changing. Since my sister-in-law’s arrival plans for our home that have been in the forecast since we first heard the words “it’s a another daughter” three years ago at Amelia’s ultrasound have been bumped up. We’re converting part of our upstairs loft into a fourth bedroom and reconfiguring some other spaces as we try to make our home work best for us and give everyone the space they need to be nurtured and grow and thrive.
Trying to guide our family through this transition as smoothly and gently as possible is priority one for Christopher and I right now. What that means for you as a Simple Kids reader is that there will probably be a lot of organizing and creating living spaces for families talk for the next 18 months or so until the dust clears. Any advice on surviving the realities of a home remodel is appreciated. Thanks!
3. I don’t have it all figured out. Okay, this isn’t exactly anything new or surprising. But, it has been even more apparent that I’m not the best at handling sudden changes and it takes a real effort to keep things running smoothly.
All of that talk back in January about rhythms and routines? The parenting vlogs I’m doing? Those were and are pep talks for me just as much as for any of you. We’re in this together and while I like to think that I help you and teach you some things, you all help me and I learn from you all the time. So, thank you. Sincerely.
4. I’m scaling back my computer time. I doubt any of you have noticed (and I hope you have been so busy living your own lives it hasn’t come to your attention) but the only computer related things I’m really focusing on are the things I enjoy and truly have the time for.
As far as this blog goes, I’ve changed up the format of SK and am no longer writing 3 posts a week plus Weekend Link Love. Instead, I’m keeping Monday’s vlogs as the anchor and then just writing when I feel like I have something worthwhile to share.
I’m not trying to grow my blog or be more active on social media or anything like that. For the first time since 2010 I don’t have a writing agenda or a list of goals or even a word for the year. I’m just trying to keep my family happy and healthy and find a way to marry that with the writing that I love to do but in the simplest, most authentic way possible. Which is probably what I should have been doing all along.
So, that’s where my thinking is on that and why there’s a little less of me and SK showing up in your newsfeeds these days.
5. I’m completely awkward at it, but I really enjoy vlogging. A few of you have gotten in touch with me to let me know that you don’t like the vlogs. That’s okay. They are important to me and a good fit for the time I have right now (believe it or not, it is easier for me to find time to record and edit a vlog than it is to write and edit a post) and if that means that SimpleKids isn’t a good fit for your life right now that’s fine.
I try to create this blog with the idea of being a very helpful friend to all of you, but I also have to make sure that I’m not giving more to it than I can afford as far as my time (and my sanity). And, I think the videos are fun to make. I’m well aware vlogs aren’t for everyone but I really enjoy them and that’s a direction I want to keep moving in, sharing that face to face talk once a week. It doesn’t offend me or hurt my feelings if you skip right by them or even unsubscribe because of them. We all have to do what works for us.
So, that’s the last three months of my life and a little bit of an explanation behind so many quiet days, re-runs of old posts from the archives, and the changes in format around here, including the new things like vlogging.
I know this isn’t a typical Friday Five post, and it is more on the personal side than I usually share, but I wanted to sit down and be truthful with all of you about what is going on with me and my family.
Thanks for reading this far and thanks for being supporters of SimpleKids.net It means so much to me. I love you guys!