“An apple a day keeps the doctor away” as the saying goes. Of course, at our house we eat apples more for their delicious taste than for health reasons. Baked in a pie, sliced and dipped in peanut butter, or devoured fresh from the tree, apples are a kid (and grown up) favorite at the Fleck house.
There’s also apple fun to be had beyond eating them. We look forward to our annual trips to the local apple orchard each year. Pulling the little red wagon around, gathering our favorite varieties, and enjoying some time at the orchard store are a part of the year’s rhythm we never miss.
We do a fair bit of crafting with apples, too – from apple stamped tee shirts using the actual fruit, to arts and crafts inspired by the apple. It is a versatile, wonderful material to work with.
The Apple Star
Take an apple round and red
Don’t slice down
Slice through instead
Right inside it you will see
A star as pretty as can be!
I know we aren’t the only ones who love apples and want to celebrate and enjoy apple season. And, I know I’m not the only mom of littles who is sometimes on the lookout for fun themes and craft ideas to do with her kids.
So, I thought it would be fun to create an apple round-up: a plethora of apple ideas for the Autumn days ahead.
I’ll get us started with a few apple crafts and recipes that I have discovered. I’d love it if you’d leave me a comment or a link with your favorite apple ideas, too.
A Plethora of Apple Ideas
- Paper Bag Apple Tree ::: Creative Jewish Mom
- Apple Prints ::: About.com Family Crafts (we made tee shirts a few years ago with our apple stamps)
- Wormy Apple Craft ::: No Time for Flashcards
- Red Apple Cider Play Dough ::: From Playdough to Plato
- Spiced Apple Ice Cream ::: Gidget Goes Home
- Let’s Bake an Apple Pie ::: Simple Bites
- Applesauce Fruit Blends ::: Family Feedbag
- Hot Apple Cider ::: Simple Kids
Apple Printables and More!
- Apple Tot School Printables ::: 1+1+1=1
- Apple Printables for Kindergarten – First Grade ::: Mama’s Learning Corner
Have you got an apple idea to add to this list?