Written by Kara Fleck, Simple Kids editor and Rockin’ Granola mama.
February is right around the corner, bringing with it Valentine’s Day. If you’re looking for a simple way to celebrate love with your little sweethearts, why not surprise them with some special Valentine’s Day food?
With a cookie cutter or a knife, cut their food into a heart shape and even normal every-day peanut butter and jelly becomes special. There are plenty of foods that lend themselves to this simple, heart-shaped trick that would make a fun Valentine’s Day twist such as apples, cheese, or your favorite cookie recipe.
Don’t forget those X and O cookie cutters from your alphabet collection, too. We could always use extra hugs and kisses! Or, you could serve red and pink food, not from food dye, but food that is naturally found in these cupid-friendly hues, such as red peppers, beets, purple cauliflower, red grapes, and more.
From breakfast to dessert, here is a round of up heart-y treats! (sorry, I couldn’t resist the pun)
Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Are you looking for an excuse to get started with a family feast tradition? Valentine’s Day might be just the reason you’re looking for.
If a Valentine’s Day breakfast is what is on your mind, I think heart shaped pancakes are adorable – perhaps with heart shaped butter pats? Breakfast parfaits might be fun, too.
Here are some more Valentine’s Day ideas:
- Egg in the Basket ::: Petite Kitchenesse
- Hearts in an Apple Sandwich ::: Happy Together
- Valentine Lunches ::: Lisa Storms
- Valentine Pizza ::: One Charming Party
- Valentine Heart Fruit Kabobs ::: Parents.com
- Red Beet Pancakes ::: Weelicious
- Love Nest Breakfast ::: One Charming Party
Snacks and Sweet Treats
We made these peanut butter eggs from The Whimsical Princess (instead of shortening, I used butter) and made them into peanut butter heart shapes. We loved them! They were a super sweet treat that I didn’t feel too badly giving to my kids.
Other snacks and sweet ideas:
- Love Potion #9 Smoothie ::: Makes and Takes
- Strawberry Banana Ice Cream ::: Raw Food Nation
- Chocolate Beet Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting ::: Simple Bites
- Dark Chocolate Beet Bundt Cake ::: Simple Bites
Fun Valentine’s Day treat making supplies
- Alphabet cookie cutters (for X’s and O’s)
- Heart shaped sandwich cutter
- Hearts paper straws
- Printable Valentine’s Day lunchbox notes
Happy Valentine’s Day, dear readers! Of course, I hope your days are always filled with hugs and kisses and those you love.
Are you looking for more Valentine’s Day ideas? Check out my Valentine’s Day Pinterest board.