Photo by Tanya McCoy
Taking Mr. Potato Head to New Lengths
Pomme du terre is literally “apple of the earth” and serves as the term for potato in French. I love potatoes and find that I always buy too many. So, bear with me as I share with you my exploration of what the heck I can do with the extras to avoid being wasteful. If you think about it, this little dirt veggie has a lot of education & entertainment potential. But, if you don’t think about it… that’s what I’m here for.
From serving as a great visual for plant growth to acting as a conductor of electricity, there’s no real reason for potatoes to go to waste. Check out these resources I’ve found as proof.
- Featuring: The Potato Clock, Floating Potato & Insulating Potatoes
- An amazing intro to BASIC electrical engineering… with a potato battery
- Edible craft dough. You don’t have to say “Don’t Eat That!!” with this one.
- An activity featured on PBS Kids that will entertain and amaze.
- Attempt at Your Own Risk .. and at your own house.