The following is by editor Kara Fleck.
So, friends, how is the first week of Project Simplify going for you as Tsh leads us in cleaning up kids’ stuff?
I have to admit that I still have a good amount of cleaning, decluttering, and downsizing work ahead of me. My older two children have been terrific about helping, but my three year old isn’t quite as thrilled about the idea and has told me several times she “likes it messy” the little stinker.
I’m finding that it is working out best for my ten and five year olds and I to clean when the baby and the three year old are napping. We put on some fun music and get to work.
The kids are working on their bedrooms, with a bit of supervision from me, and I’m tackling the play kitchen and the children’s desk in our loft playroom.
Here is my progress so far:
- too many craft supplies out at once, no organization
- trash ending up on the floor
- items on top of the desk that don’t belong there
The Game Plan
- I’ve cleaned away all of the craft supplies, and I’m giving them back to the children as they ask for them this week. The rest I will organize and store in a closet, the idea being that what they use the most they have access to and the rest is tidy and put away elsewhere.
- The desk has all these great cubby holes and drawers that we need to be utilizing (and, once upon a time, we were)
- find a small trash can for this space
- re-hang the chalk board and return other items that don’t belong on the desk to their homes
The Play Kitchen
- Again, items on top of the kitchen that don’t belong on this space.
- Play food is every where!
- the kitchen itself is dirty and needs cleaned
The Game Plan
- find homes for all of the objects that have landed on the top that don’t belong there
- organize, and perhaps downsize, the play food and toy dishes
- find some small baskets and containers that can be used to store the play kitchen items, just like in our big kitchen
- remove everything from the kitchen and give it a good scrub down from top to bottom
Okay, that is my progress spring cleaning kids’ stuff so far. Admittedly, it isn’t much. I have plans, but little progress. The kids and I have some work to do over the next few days.
Tune in to this space on Friday and, hopefully, I’ll have some clean and tidy “after” photos to share with you. And, be sure to head over to Simple Mom for some tips and encouragement with Project Simplify.
We’re half way through the week. How are your kids’ spaces looking?