Ah, October, the time of year when I pull some of our favorite books off of the bookshelf and we start spending the colder days indoors, reading together on the sofa or sprawling out on the beanbag and sheepskins on the floor. It is a good season for popcorn, apple slices, and lots of page turning.
We don’t have any Autumn piano sheet music, so I popped our current books up on the piano instead. I’m not sure why it took me this long to figure out that this is a great way to have our seasonal books accessible, but here they are, on display and within easy reach for the kiddos. I love how the covers are all visible, too.
I tried to set out a little bit of everything for each age and stage we have at our house right now, so we’ve got everything from board books to poetry in our October book list.
Here’s what the kids and I are reading this month:
- Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
- The Year at Maple Hill Farm
- Birds, Nests, and Eggs
- In a Pumpkin Shell Out of print, but if you ever find a second-hand copy, grab it up! Adorable illustrations!
- Autumn by Gerda Muller
- Peek-a-Boo board book by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
- Children of the Forest
- The Seasons of Arnold’s Apple Tree
- Fall (Four Seasons series) (we won our copy from By Sun and Candlelight – thank you, Dawn, for introducing us to this lovely Autumn book!)
- Crinkleroot’s 25 Birds Every Child Should Know
What are you and your kids reading this month?