Written by Kara Fleck, Simple Kids editor and Rockin’ Granola mama.
It is November, and the turning of the calendar page means we’re also changing our clocks, having an election, remembering our Veterans, and celebrating Thanksgiving. At our house it also means wool socks, stories in front of the fire place, and an extra blanket or two on the beds. After a busy Summer and back-to-school season, the pace slows a bit before we begin the December holidays. In November, we take a deep breath and savor the season’s change in all of it’s golden beauty.
We’ve got a fun November planned for you at SimpleKids.net. Coming this month I’ll be adding to the Unplugged Play Series, sharing some of the ways our home is set up to help the kids stay organized, hosting our last Holiday Kids’ Gift Craft-along, and at the end of the month the other Simple Living Media editors and I have cooked up a big network wide surprise!
Looking for some ways to play, learn, and explore with your kids in November? I’ve rounded up a few for you in today’s Weekend Links.
Ways to play, learn, and explore in November
November’s flower is the Chrysanthemum. There are some coloring pages here. November’s birth stone is Topaz.
The word November comes from the Latin “novem” which means nine. In the Roman calendar November was the ninth month.
Here are a few fun activities:
- The Thanksgiving Calendar Connections from 1+1+1=1 (scroll down the page)
- Se7en’s FREE printable November calendar (lots of good things on this page!)
- Filth Wizardry’s Autumn Woodland Treasure Sculpture
- This Gingersnap and Apple Cider “Tea” Party looks lovely
- Speaking of November food, we’re going to give these Cinnamon Pumpkin Donut Muffins a try
A few good books for November:
- Christopher’s Harvest Time by Elsa Beskow
- I’m Thankful Each Day by P.K. Hallinan
- P is for Pilgrim: a Thanksgiving Alphabet
- Thanksgiving is … by Gail Gibbons
- If You Were At the First Thanksgiving
November fun from the Simple Kids archives:
How will you and your kids be playing, learning, and exploring this November?