Written by Kara Fleck, Simple Kids editor and Rockin’ Granola mama.
It is almost February and that means loves is in the air and we’ll be celebrating Valentine’s Day.
At our house we’re also looking forward to February because the month brings with it Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day, and a few special birthdays as well as Chinese New Year. Did you know that 2013 is the year of the snake? And, let us not forget that little groundhog on February 2nd.
February in Indiana usually means that Winter has more cold days and dark nights in store for us, and we’re spending our days by the fire, reading and doing some handwork crafts, and trying to keep the doldrums from setting in. February may be the shortest month on the calendar, but there are times it seems very long indeed.
I’ve rounded up a few ways to play, learn, and explore this February to help keep those late Winter doldrums at bay.
Ways to play, learn, and explore in February
February’s flower is the iris, which comes from the Greek word for “rainbow” because they come in so many colors. The birth stone for February is amethyst. If you and your kids are interested in gems, rocks, and minerals, it might be fun this month to look for a local lapidary and make a field trip.
If you’re looking for some pancake themed books to share with your kids this month, my kids and I enjoy The Runaway Pancake (a folktale with lots of versions available) and Pancakes for Breakfast, which has no words but is a charming picture book illustrated by Tomie DePaola.
Here are some February ideas for you and your kids:
- Storytelling: Groundhog Day (Groundhog day is February 2nd)
- More Than Words: Simple Ways to Show Your Kids You Love Them
- Easy Ways to Surprise and Delight Your Children
- Valentine’s Day Sweets and Treats
- A Simple Valentine’s Day Celebration
- Pink Homemade Playdough ::: Little Acorn Learning
- Valentine’s Day printables ::: The ToyMaker
- I’ve been curating a Pancake Day Pinterest board
- This Spiral Snake Craft looks fun for Chinese New Year and the year of the snake
- Quick and Easy Presidents Day printables ::: Growing Kinders
- Tomie DePaola coloring pages
We’ve got a fantastic February planned for you at SimpleKids.net. Coming this month we’ll be talking about Winter, love, and literacy and some other fun topics, too.
How will you and your kids be playing, learning, and exploring this February?